Journey of Faith Friday: Mentors


My sweet friend Amber has asked readers to share how a person has influenced your life and relationship with Christ. It is a three-part series, which works out perfect because I’d love to share my experience with different mentors and the ways God has used them to bless me.

This week I will share about my incredible mentor Vicki.

In the spring of 2008 I joined a bible study led by our church named ‘Complete Makeover’. It was a 6 week bible study in which we learned about cooking, cleaning, friendships, and growing in Christ. At the end of the 6 week everyone participating would be assigned a mentor by the church.

I was really excited about this, specially because my friend Holly had done it the spring before and many times shared with me what a wonderful impact it had on her life. The mentor she was given turned out to be one of her best friends- always guiding her to God’s word, sharing incredible wisdom, having lots of fun, and laughing a lot. They had even met up for mexican food a few times! It was neat to see how much Holly loved and respected her mentor.

So I was really excited to be assigned a mentor at the end of the study. I had prayed, and prayed that I would be given the mentor God had chosen for me and was nervous about finally meeting her.

The day came when we finally met our mentors. I remember meeting Vicki that day- she was a little bit older than I expected, wore glasses, and had a quiet demeanor about her. I remember thinking ‘Clearly I’m not going to have anything in common with this lady… did they assign me the wrong person?... They were supposed to pair us based on interests…they must’ve messed up somewhere!... I don’t see her as my mentor at all!’. I remember reluctantly talking to her and setting up a time for us to meet for coffee later that month.

Vicki and I met about every 2-3 weeks over the next few months. I saw how much she cared for me, faithfully prayed over areas in my life that were burdening me, and always pointed me back to God’s word. She’d always make time out of her busy schedule despite the fact that she had three young girls at home to care for and was undergoing chemo treatment for breast cancer.

Vicki had been battling breast cancer for many years. She had beat it at one point, but in the few months before we met tests showed it had come back.

She truly loved the Lord and put Him first in every area of her life. Despite the ups and downs of battling cancer, she never wavered in her faith and trusted Him even when the events around her gave her every reason to worry and fret.

I remember meeting with Vicki at the Panera on Westshore about a week before Andrew was due. We had a great conversation and prayed together before going home. I remember Vicki looking at me and saying ‘Next time we meet I’ll get to meet that precious baby of yours!’.

I could not have imagined at the time how the next 6 months would play out. As you all know Andrew unexpectedly ended up in the NICU and passing away 10 days later.

I remember meeting Vicki for coffee at that same Panera just a few weeks after we had lost Andrew. That day I felt pretty dazed and confused before meeting with her. It was hard going back to the same Panera where we used to meet and talk about all the changes that motherhood would have on my life.

That day God used Vicki to bring so much hope and strength to my heart. I carefully listened to every word she had to say… this lady knew what it was like to face adversity and still trust God despite of the trials and pain of this life.

I remember her telling me many things that day, but two things stick out the most in my mind. First she felt very compelled to share with me this verse that she felt God wanted me to hear…

‘My grace is enough for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness’ 2 Corinthians 12:9

She repeated over and over again that God’s grace would be more than enough for us during this time.

She also shared with me that in the moments of doubt, I should say outloud ‘I trust you Jesus’ over and over again. She said this had worked wonders for her during her times in the hospital and difficult times.

This was the last time we would get to meet. Vicki took a sharp turn for the worst over the next month and went to be with the Lord shortly after.

Although the end of this story might seem sad, it truly is a story of trusting God despite the circumstances. Of believing God’s love for us even when our prayers are not answered the way we would like. Vicki showed me all these things, and she had a tremendous impact in my faith and walk with the Lord.

At Vicki’s memorial service (same place where Andrew's service was held) they played a recording she had made at the hospital in her last days knowing she would not make it. It was so good to hear her voice, but even better to hear the peace and joy so few people have in those circumstances.

There is something special about the thought of Vicki getting to meet and hold Andrew in heaven, both in the presence of our Lord Jesus and with their bodies made whole again, as we had all so fervently prayed for on this earth.

She turned out to be just the perfect mentor God hand-picked specially for me.