Getting out of our routine

This past weekend Steve was out of town for a family wedding in Georgia. Jack and I stayed home for multiple reasons (long car ride, me being sick, etc) which I was glad for, but part of me wished I could've been up there with him.

Saturday morning I begun making my list of 'things to do' over the weekend. I had planned on having a very productive time while Steve was away... but already I was feeling overwhelmed and the day had not even started.

Another part of me just really wanted to cherish this time alone with Jack. I debated back and forth between being 'productive' and dragging Jack through errands all day or just doing something fun with him just the two of us.

Well my list of things to get done went out the window and we drove down to the beach for the day. I was so excited to get out of my routine and do something different with Jack that he enjoyed. I can't think of something that he loves more than running through the ocean shore.

So we made it not fully prepared to Ana Maria Island. We had a lunch date, played in the park, and then at his request ran through the water.





There is nothing more fun than to see pure delight in his face when the waves crash over him. He loves it! And I love watch him enjoy it.

I did not worry about getting back in for his naptime as I normally do, and thankfully he did pretty well. He definitely has much more energy than me!

We drove through Anna Maria Island and visited shops and houses. It was not something I would normally do, but today practical was not something I wanted to be on Saturday.




We had a delicious ice cream outing. Rarely do we eat ice cream, and when we do he normally has a few bites of mine or Steve's. But today I didn't worry about sugar. I bought him his very own ice cream all to himself :)





We sat outside the ice cream store watching the cars go by and it was perfect. For a few minutes we actually sat down without me having to chase after him!

Most days in the routine of everyday life, it's easy for me to run through the motions and not fully engage with Jack. I'm often multi-tasking and have a million thoughts running through my mind. I know part of it is the adjustment to being at home (being with him all day long vs. a few hours a day)... but I love that Saturday he had my full attention.

I would not trade this day for anything else in the world. I so treasured this day with him!