Quinoa

I first tried Quinoa during a visit to my dear mentor Paula in North Carolina two falls ago. She is so good and creative at cooking healthy, I literally just wanted to hang out around her kitchen and soak up her knowledge. I'm pretty sure I took pics of her entire pantry and freezer with my iphone for ideas- ha!

I tried Quinoa back at home figuring Steve probably wouldn't like it. After all he is a man's man and loves to eat his meat! (insert low voice over here). But much to my surprise he has loved this recipe. By now we have a few others but this one continues to be his favorite.

Quinoa Salad
  • 2 cups quinoa
  • 3 water
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 onions, minced
  • 1 tomato minced
  • 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, minced
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • juice of 2-3 limes
  • 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
  • 2 clove garlic, pressed
  1. Place Quinoa and water in large pot until boil. Once it boils turn it down to low for 15 minutes.
  2. Cut the tomatoes and onions in squares. Mix it with the rest of the ingredients in separate bowl. 
  3. Once the Quinoa is done, just add to the bowl and voila! Ready

Health benefits of Quinoa:

1 Quinoa is a grain, but also one of the most protein-rich foods we can eat containing all 9 amino acids

2. Quinoa contains almost twice as much fiber as most other grains. 

3. Quinoa contains Iron. 
4. Quinoa contains lysine. Lysine is mainly essential for tissue growth and repair.

5. Quinoa is rich in magnesium. Magnesium helps to relax blood vessels and thereby to alleviate migraines. 

6. Quinoa is high in Riboflavin (B2). B2 improves energy metabolism within brain and muscle cells and is known to help create proper energy production in cells.

7. Quinoa has a high content of manganese. 
* From http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-4994/7-Benefits-of-Quinoa-The-Supergrain-of-the-Future.html

Quinoa is considered a Superfood and it is glutten-free. I order it from Amazon and it is less than half the cost of Publix and Target. And it's delivered right to my door!

At Publix you can find a 1lb bag for about $9

Amazon's cost ranges from $15 to $17 for a 4lb bag. That comes to about $.78 per serving (plus the cost of the herbs and veggies) but it's still pretty inexpensive!

Here's the Quinoa I order monthly:


http://www.amazon.com/Earthly-Delights-Organic-Premium-Percent/dp/B0036FB6FY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350526520&sr=8-1&keywords=quinoa+earthly+choice


Would absolutely love some more recipes on Quinoa. I have a couple of more I will try to post over the next few weeks. Enjoy!