Mission trip to Peru

My sister Elizabeth left on a medical mission trip to the mountains of Peru this past Saturday. I have been so excited for her call to go on a mission trip! I can only imagine all of what she'll see and who she'll connect with over there.

It has made me reminisce about our mission trip to Tarapoto, Peru that Steve and I went to in 2007. We were welcomed by Karen and Angel Oyola down there (the same missionaries who are now welcoming Elizabeth, but they are now in an even more remote place!). Ours was a construction mission trip to finish building a center for the local community. A place where women could build skills and families could come together.

Needless to say I did not contribute very much to the actual construction of this place. Although I did my best everyday and got dirty at times, Steve's strength came in handy as he was able to get a lot more done. We also worked with local construction workers who were ten times faster and better than any of us and only got paid about $5 for the entire day.

One day, Steve, Anne, Kevin, and I, left the construction site to bring a meal to a new family who we heard had just moved into the neighborhood. I remember wondering how they would welcome us and what the experience would be like. And we ended up having one of the most amazing experiences of our lives.

We entered a 10ft x 10ft room. There was no door, and the floor was made up of dirt. The walls were very rough construction bricks and I can't remember what the roof was made up of. In there we found a young 17 year old mom alone with her newborn son... just hanging out. There were no baby toys and no crib anywhere in sight- just a big bed which took up most of the room. In the center there was a sweet baby boy named Angel Gabriel sleeping while the mom watched.

The mom was very welcoming to all of us and asked us to come into her little home. She was very transparent and told us she lived with her boyfriend and they had moved from very far away. Her mom (Grandma) would be visiting the next day and she would be taking a bus ride for 20 hours!! She also said she spent most days by herself watching the baby. There was no park nearby, no TV to watch.

This woman was so very sweet! She was humble and seemed glad to have us there. I could not help but think about all the baby stuff here in the states that seemed like its so very needed. It kills me that when I got pregnant with Andrew I got so caught up with having ALL of the possible baby things out there. I was trying to get so prepared for Andrew's arrival, that I forgot at some point what was really important. A year later, I wish I would not have forgotten about sweet Angel Gabriel as quickly as I did.

My heart broke for the loneliness this young mom was experiencing. I asked our missionaries if they had an extra bible in spanish that we could bring to this young mom. I was so very excited when they found a good one! We went back the next day and brought her the bible hoping that it would fill her mind with God's word throughout the day (I think she knew how to read). The next day when we got back her mom (grandma)was there and we ended up having a long and great conversation. We asked them if they had any prayer requests, and they really opened up about a lot of things. It was SUCH a sweet time and blessing to have been there and be touched by them. I will carry that memory with me forever as a good reminder of what really matters. Having and losing Andrew will also be a reminder of how much I take for granted most of the time.

As an update on baby Briggs # 2 things are good so far. I am almost afraid to write it or say it out loud for fear that something bad will happen or I will jinx it somehow. I complete 23 weeks today and start my 24th week (or 5 1/2 months). I believe in my heart there is no guarantee of what the future holds, and I am trying to focus on the blessing and miracle of just today. I am also thankful for God's grace which does not depend on my accomplishments or failures.


Above is a picture of us inside their little room. The lady in the orange was grandma, and mom was on the very right. I forget who the lady in the white and green outfit was- maybe a sister who came with grandma? Anne is wearing a white hat on the left


A picture of Angel Gabriel in the bed where he, mom and dad slept


A more closeup picture of Angel Gabriel!


A picture of children right outside Angel Gabriel's home