New Year's Resolutions

Over the last few weeks I've thought a lot about my role as a mother and wife. I remember so badly wanting to be both and how I had to wait longer than I had planned before either of them came to be. I guess sometimes in the routine of everyday life I forget what an honor and blessing it is to be both.

Here are some of the goals I wrote down for 2011- most I wanted to keep for myself :)

As a Parent:

1. To enroll Jack in an ISR swimming class. This is an intensive daily 4-6 week class in which he'll learn how to float if he falls into a pool (so more of a life-saving class than swimming). We have been putting this off because its expensive and it will take dedication to bring him to class EVERY day- but we have finally made the decision to do this! Thank you to my friend Shelly for reminding me this Thanksgiving about protecting our children and pool safety. And Natasha for recommending an instructor in Tampa.

2. To consistently speak Spanish to Jack. I try to speak spanish to Jack as much as I can, but it is soo much easier for me to speak English! It takes a lot of effort for me to speak spanish because I have to translate everything for Steve too (so its like teaching him as well). But I know that if I speak it consistently to Jack he will pick it up pretty quick! Thank you to Raquel who inspired me that its worth the effort in teaching our little ones spanish since we already have that gift.

3. To teach Jack how to sign and say 'please' and not give in to whining. This one takes a lot of effort too! Its so much easier to just give him something when he points at it and whines. But I have seen children much younger than him nicely sign 'please' when they would like something with none of the screaming. So we have been consistent about it these last few week and Jack is finally picking it up! I would say he does it about 80% of the time now so I'm hoping that he will really pick it up by next year. And thank you Raquel for inspiring me for this one too.

4. To memorize bible verses so that we can teach Jack God's word as he grows up. A few months ago my dear friend Whitney gave me the book 'Don't make me count to three! A mom's look at heart-oriented Discipline' and it was such an incredible eye opening and convicting book for me. I know there are a lot of parenting books out there with different methods on raising children, but the message of this book is to always go back to God's word for guidance on raising and disciplining our children. A few highlights from the book for me were:

- To not just train a child's outward behavior, but to discipline them in such a way that you reach their heart as well.

- To not laugh at our children when they sin (lie, throw a temper tantrum, etc) which I know its hard to do sometimes because they're so stinking cute!!

- When disciplining them on what not to do, inmediately show them the correct way to do something so they'll learn for next time, and not get exasperated.

- To memorize scripture so that we may teach it to our children as they learn growing up. She specifically points to scripture about forgiving others, loving, not being jealous, etc. All scriptures which I can't quote today, but I know they'll be very important once the day comes that I may teach it to Jack- and I know that day is just around the corner!

Personal

1. To learn how to BAKE!

2. To greet Steve with a smile when he walks in the door from work no matter how tired I may be.

3. To learn how to country line dance.

4. To finish a book before I start reading the next one.

4. To do sit ups on the days I don't have time work out.

5. To drink less coffee (after my starbucks giftcard runs out of course :) )

_________________________________________________________________________

As I wrote down these goals I realized although I'm called to serve to the Lord by being a wife and mother- I will continue to fail often in this role. I am sorting through identifying what is my part and what is God's part in the process. I am very thankful I've already seen His grace cover me the many times I've fallen short. and I'm thankful for a God who does not ask me to be perfect, but asks me to depend on HIM for everything!

And a big thanks to all my friends who encourage me to be a better mother and wife- Shelly, Mary, Amber, Kindra, Lela, Bethany, Chrissy, Rachel, Heather, Paula, Kelly, Natasha, Kristen, Whitney, Raquel, and any I may have forgotten to mention. I have learned a lot from each of you and hope that we will continue to encourage each other for years to come.

Hope you all had a wonderful New year!!