Deceptively Delicious

A few weeks ago I picked up the book Deceptively Delicious at Border's. The book caught my attention because it was on sale for $7 from $25 (love a good deal) and it was pink and cute. ha! I am a sucker for all things pink.


Probably the best $7 I've spent in a while. Here's a summary of what I like about the book...

- The recipes are all about mixing vegetables in with everyday meals so children are not able to taste it

- It gives you a summary of the benefits of each vegetable

- It shows step by step how to cut, steam, and puree the vegetables (something I have very little knowledge of and have had to resort to Youtube to learn)

- Most of the recipes are five ingredients or less

The book does a good job of integrating vegetables and still keeping the meals tasty for the most part. Here's my feedback on the recipes I've tried:

- Ground turkey tacos with butternut squash mixed in taco sauce (excellent)

- Homemade mac and cheese with wheat pasta and butternut squash (excellent- even got a text from my father in law on how much he liked it)

- Tuna salad with cauliflower puree (very good)

- Pita pizzas with spinach (not well liked)

- Eggs with spinach (not well liked- must be something about spinach)

- Eggs with cauliflower and a pinch of sour cream (well liked)

I am really excited about incorporating more vegetables into our meals. I am not a person who really likes vegetables although I buy them every week at the supermarket because I convince myself we will eat more vegetables that week. That usually doesn't end up working out as planned.

If you are a seasoned cook and know what you are doing in the kitchen, you will find this book a little too basic. I enjoyed it because of the step by step guide of how to cook the vegetables and the quick weeknight meals. Good for someone who doesn't know much like me- ha!

I read something in the book which really struck me last week. There was a tip on how 'dinner' should never be a power struggle of making children eat something they refuse. And so it really got me thinking about our own eating habits and my approach to mealtimes at home.

I will write more about that on my next post...