I love you no matter what

A couple of weeks ago I was talking to a fellow employee who works in the IT department. We don't talk very often but somehow we got into the conversation of toddlers and discipline. I mentioned that Jack already at 16 months had shown some signs of the famous terrible two's and it scared me a little.

"Terrible two's?" He replied "We had the terrific two's. Both of my children were great, and although challenging at times for the most part they were pretty easy''

This was the first time I'd ever heard anyone say something that positive and talk that great about their kids at that age. The conversation ended but in the back of my mind I kept thinking about the 'terrific twos' he talked about.

This Monday he walked by my desk and I just had to ask him- "What did you do with your children that they were so easy? Honestly, you're the first person I've ever heard talk about these 'terrific twos"

He told me he and his wife were devout christians and had always prayed for their children (They are now teenagers). He kindly gave me a lot of practical advice on things that had worked for them, but one thing stuck out to me the most...

''I had this habit of whispering into my girls ears- I love you no matter what"

I came home and talked to Steve about it and it led to a great parenting conversation that night.

Well this afternoon I read a blog update on Kate McRae a little girl who has been battling a very aggresive brain tumor for years (hang with me here, there's a connection).

This week Kate had a check up brain scan and it turns out her tumor has come back. In today's blog post her mom writes about having to explain to her daughter that she may be called to heaven sooner than they would like. And in the midst of her conversation her daughter whispers into her ear 'I will love you no matter what'

Here's what she wrote:

I wept as we talked about heaven and she softly said, "mom, I don't want to go without you, I would miss you way too much." "And I don't want you to go without me either baby." And then the question again that pierces our hearts daily, "Why hasn't Jesus used his power yet? He's so much stronger than cancer, why?" So again we talked, and cried some more. We ended the conversation with her whispering in my ear, "I will love you no matter what." I had to go to my room to cry alone.

I assume Kate learned those words from her parents.

I was surprised to read the words bolded above for the second time in one week. I don't know if its a very common thing to say, but honestly before this week I had never heard of it before so its really struck me  and I wanted to share it here.

I hope to make it a habit to whisper it into Jack's ears.

I hope Jack knows that he will always be loved no matter how many times he messes up. And no matter how frustrated I may get with him during the 'terrible twos' stage.

And from a different perspective, I hope I will also love the Lord no matter what. No matter what the circumstances- if our health is stripped away, if our wealth is gone, or if he calls Steve or another one of my children to heaven sooner than I would like.

I didn't mean for this to turn out a sad post. These words have spoken loudly to me this week and I think they are powerful words we can share with our children.