Thank you for twins!

About 3 months after Andrew passed away a friend gave me a copy of the World Wide Christian magazine. She had read an article about Molly Ann Mutz, an amazing little girl who went to be with Jesus after living for only 7 short days. I read a wonderful story of faith by Rebecca and Jacob Mutz which greatly encouraged me.

Rebecca (Molly’s mom) and I had very similar stories. We were both Christians. We were about the same age. We both had healthy pregnancies and did not expect anything to be wrong. We were both first-time moms. She gave birth to Molly June 13, 2008 and I had Andrew July 14, 2008.

And so we began to email each other and shared a lot on how we were feeling. It was wonderful to communicate with her. If anyone in the world understood my wide range of emotions, it was Rebecca! It was truly a blessing to have this friendship during this time. I felt a little less alone in the road I was walking.

Well in the spring of 2009 Rebecca told me she was pregnant! I was also about 10 weeks pregnant at the time, and Steve and I had decided not to share it with anyone until we got past that first trimester. But I was SO excited, I shared with her my news as well. I couldn’t believe it, both of us only about 6 weeks apart! It was very exciting. I knew it was going to be a difficult pregnancy and I was very VERY excited to be pregnant along with Rebecca. We likely would both struggle with fear and sorrow over our little ones in heaven.

Then on May 6, 2009 I opened an email from Rebecca titled ‘Please pray for us’. Initially I thought she was struggling with extra fear that day and was asking for prayer. My heart broke when I read in her email that at their 16 week appointment they did not find the heartbeat of her little one. I was so heartbroken and out of words. I left work crying and got down on my knees to pray for them that night. I could not imagine the sorrow they were going through again, specially with mother’s day on that weekend.

I spent the night at my friend Shelly’s that night and the sweetest little thing happened. I was sitting on the couch with Shelly and her daughter Winnie joined us. Now generally Winnie did not pay much attention to me. She usually ran to Steve and they would play and laugh together, but me.. well she was just not interested. Well that night Winnie snuggled with me in the couch (which was so odd), looked at me, pointed at my belly and said ‘baby?’. It just melted my heart!! I think she sensed how sad I was and wanted to love on me. I will always remember that sweet snuggle from Winnie. I don’t think she has snuggled that closely with me since then.

The following month Jake and Rebecca visited us in Tampa. We had planned the visit for a long time and had been excited to share in our pregnancies. Except now Rebecca wasn’t pregnant anymore and I had a big pregnant belly. I wasn’t sure how difficult it would be for them, but I must say that they visited with such grace. We were able to share a lot about Molly and Andrew and proudly shared pictures with each other. That day I clearly saw God’s grace over them carrying them through the darkest of valleys.

But today, today is a day of praise. Today Rebecca gave birth to twin beautiful baby girls! They are here safe and sound and healthy. I am so excited for them and word cannot describe the incredible amount of JOY for them! God’s grace over them has touched so many people. To think about all that they have been through these last few years simply leaves me in awe of their faith. I have learned a lot from my sweet friend Rebecca.

Thank you Lord for twins! Thank you for Piper and Lily Mutz!