How to make an Advent Basket



This Christmas I'm really looking forward to giving an 'Advent Basket' to someone who has lost a loved one and is not looking forward to the holidays. Working on this has brought joy and much excitement to our home!

Although I grew up knowing the meaning of Advent, I had never heard of an 'Advent Basket' until reading it in Molly Piper's post on Oct 2010. Her family had given her one the Christmas after she lost her daughter Felicity at 39 weeks, and she wrote about how much it helped her that first Christmas.

What is an Advent Basket
An 'Advent Basket' contains 25 gifts, one to be opened each day of Advent leading up to Christmas. I add a bible verse and/or an encouraging note. Each gift is numbered so the receiver knows which one to open, and on the 25th day the note reveals who the basket is from!

How to put together an Advent Basket
Step 1: About 4 weeks in advance, decide who to make the basket for and who you would like to contribute. Do you want it to just be a family project or would you like to include others? When others are involved they are excited as well and it gives them an opportunity to contribute. It also helps from a cost perspective.

Step 2: If you decide to include others, put together an email or letter letting them know the details of the Advent Basket. You could include some gift ideas, specially if you know the likes and dislikes of the recipient. And provide a deadline of when to turn the gifts in by so that there's enough time to put it all together.

Step 3: Find a basket big enough for all the presents! Michael's usually has the best options and they run pretty good sales. It's also a good idea to purchase the basket in January when it is 60-75% discounted  since large baskets can get rather expensive. Here is the one I bought for this year.


I added the Christmas flower ($1.20 at Michael's) and I think it gives it a cute touch! :)

Step 4: Once you have all the presents, add the bible verses or notes to each gift (and wrap them inside if possible so they are a surprise). This takes some time so allow 1-2 weeks to complete. Another option- you could ask the gift givers to include their own note to each gift.

And make sure that on day 25th the note reveals who the basket is from! If you decide to reveal who it's from.

Step 5: On December 1st, ask someone who does not know the recipient to drop off the basket in their front porch. This one can be kind of tricky since you don't want anyone to steal the basket, but you also don't really want the person to see who is dropping it off!

Step 6: Continue to pray for the recipient during the Christmas season- that God would bless them through this basket, but most of all for grace and healing over their loss.

Last Christmas I organized a basket for my dear friend Natasha, who had welcomed and said goodbye to her daughter at birth 6 months earlier. It was a group effort, and many of our friends at church were quick to contribute very thoughtful gifts and verses. I wish I had the picture of the final basket, but unfortunately I can't seem to find it :(

This year the basket will be for a widow who unexpectedly lost her husband this year. I won't share a lot about her, since Steve and I have decided to keep the basket anonymous this year...  Keeping it anonymous actually makes it more joyful to give!

As I've been typing out bible verses for each day, I've gone through my bible to find the verses which were most helpful that first Christmas... and I've been brought right back to that difficult season.  Despite the pain, a part of me is thankful that I can relate to those people who are hurting and can understand in some ways what they are going through.

I know this was a long post, but I hope it will bless someone out there.